Thursday, May 22, 2014

Sewing Onions

"...because sometimes sewing makes you cry"

Here is what happens when you haven't admitted that you really do need to wear glasses all the time.  

Tracy writes, "I need sewing minions"

I respond, "Sewing onions? What are those? I want one!"
Tracy corrects, "Um... minions, honey, not onions."

Which of course sends me into ridiculous fits of laughter! As we continued to banter I decided I would bring the sewing onion to life. I drew this cute little Kawaii-inspired onion and I came up with a tag line:


"Sewing Onions, because sometimes sewing makes you cry..."


I loved my little sewing onion so much that I made pins (aka lanard swag) to bring to my Sm'ass bee mates at market. They were a big hit! Several folks suggested a sewing onion was the next generation of those cute little tomato pincushions. Of course I have to make that now too. Once I get back on my feet after my sixteen page 'to-do' list from Pittsburgh I am going to draw a cute little Spoonflower Sewing Onion print with tears and seam rippers. I drew a red onion version too - on tiny red pin dots. It is so dang cute it's killin' me!


I gave away all the pins  but I plan to get a new batch or two over at Portland Button Works - who are pretty much the most awesome button makers in the universe. Until then, feel free to grab my onion and post it on your blog! 


Have machine, will travel.

Michelle

4 comments:

  1. Love it -- that onion is so adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks! I can't wait to make a pin cushion version of her!

      Delete
  2. omg I saw this in somebodies photo stream from market on Instagram and I was like "is that a sewing onion? I need that! sewing can make me cry" I kid you not! Button me! stat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous08 July, 2014

    I remember that discussion. Too funny. I love the sewing onion - every sewing room needs one!

    ReplyDelete